It has been a couple weeks since my last post and I am happy to say things have, for the most part, gotten back to normal since then. The blizzard of 2011 is just a memory now. All the snow has melted and for a few days it seemed we were well on our way to spring. That was short lived!
This week I would like to touch on a few things that should be taken into consideration before finishing a basement with Home Inspectors Huntley IL help. I could talk about this subject for days and still have more to say. So I will pick some of the most important ones and start there.
- How do the foundation walls look? Are there any cracks that look like they may be leaking? Not all foundation cracks needto be repaired. If it isn’t leaking or growing it probably is not a concern. If there is evidence of seepage or if you are concerned the crack is getting bigger it is time to call for an expert opinion.
- What is the condition of the sump pump? Does it seem to run often? If so, you may want to consider a battery backup unit. If there is no sump pump you may want to consult a professional to be sure one is not needed.
- Is the electrical panel outdated or already at capacity? If your electrical panel is less than 100 amp service or if all the spaces are currently full you will want to call an electrician. There are many options you can discuss including a panel upgrade, service upgrade and the addition of a sub-panel.
- Are there concerns in the ceiling that need to be addressed? Before a drywall ceiling can be installed all electrical junction boxes should be removed or some means of direct access needs to be provided. Sewage cleanouts also need to be provided access as well, or at the very least, be mapped out for easy location should the need arise. An alternate option would be to install a suspended tile ceiling that allows access everywhere by removing tiles.
- If you are planning to add a bathroom, is the plumbing already there? If the plumbing has been roughed in it would be wise to talk to your plumber before you begin the project to make sure there are no surprises. If the plumbing needs to be added I recommend talking to the plumber during the planning stages to be sure the placement of the bathroom allows for proper plumbing installation.
Of course nothing should be done without checking your municipality for building codes and do not start any construction without the proper permits. This is true regardless of who is doing the work; you or a contractor.
I am available to discuss any questions or concerns you have about any of the topics discussed today or any other system in your home. Feel free to call our office at 847-669-9040 for a consultation or to schedule a maintenance inspection.
Basement Framing, Finish Your Basement
Your Premier Huntley Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced About Your Home Inspection company help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
About Your Home Inspection will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Huntley area, we can help!
Owned and operated by inspection specialist, Dave Novalinski. Dave prides himself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of the customers .
Safety, Security and Peace Of Mind” ~ About Your Home Inspection!