This week I have put together a list of the five most common discrepancies found during a home inspection according to Home Inspector Huntley IL. I’m pretty sure everyone is as excited to know this as I am! This is by no means a scientific study with years of data. This is a simple compilation of facts from summary reports written by me, covering discrepancies found during inspections performed in the past year.
My top five list is as follows:
- Dirty furnace that hasn’t been properly serviced.
- Carbon Monoxide detectors.
- GFCI outlets non-functional or not installed.
- Overgrown or improper landscaping.
- Improper installation of water heater.
- It is recommended by most manufacturers to clean and service furnaces and central AC units annually. A dirty, un-serviced furnace can be the cause of inefficiency, premature failure or even a fire.
- Carbon Monoxide detectors save lives! Illinois passed a law in 2007 that states there must be a CO detector within 15 feet of any sleeping area. It is hard to believe there are so many homes without proper protection.
- Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI’s) are required for all outlets servicing bathrooms, garages, unfinished basements & crawl spaces, any kitchen counter top (including island outlets), and most outdoor receptacles.
- Trees or shrubs touching the roof or siding pose several problems. There may be damage to the roofing material or siding caused by branches blowing in the wind. There is also a direct path for animals and other pests to gain access to the roof and possibly find (or make) a way into your home.
- A water heater that is improperly installed is like a ticking time bomb. Water heaters fail all the time. With the proper installation of a TPR valve and the required piping, the damage and threat of personal injury is greatly reduced.
These are the top five most common items I have found during Home Inspections I performed in the past year. If you think you may have similar issues in your home or if you are unsure, call today for a no obligation quote for a Maintenance Inspection.
Home Inspection Issues to Look out for
Your Premier Huntley Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced About Your Home Inspection company help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
About Your Home Inspection will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Huntley area, we can help!
Owned and operated by inspection specialist, Dave Novalinski. Dave prides himself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of the customers .
Safety, Security and Peace Of Mind” ~ About Your Home Inspection!