No matter what I do it seems that winter is still coming. I thought summer was really going well, but I woke up a few days ago and it was fall! How did that happen? Maybe we will have a few days of ‘Indian Summer’, but we may as well face it, summer is gone.
Now that we are all in agreement that winter is coming, we need to get some work done with Home Inspector Huntley IL to make sure our homes are ready for the months ahead. Living in the Midwest can be tough on your house. A little fall maintenance will go a long way. Here is a list of actions you can do to lessen the effects of winter on your home.
- Make an appointment with a reputable HVAC company to service and clean your furnace.
- Inspect your roof for any missing or torn shingles. If any are noted, call a roofing contractor to have them corrected. This is one area you do not want surprises.
- Inspect the weather stripping around doors, windows and garage doors and repair or replace as needed.
- Ensure windows and exterior doors are operational and airtight when locked.
- Inspect your landscaping. Trim tree branches, shrubbery and plants away from the siding and roof. Branches rubbing on the siding or roof can cause major damage.
- Drain and remove garden hoses from outside spigots.
- Ensure outside water spigots are frost proof type. If they are not, locate an interior isolation valve to shut off the water and drain the line to help prevent frozen pipes.
- Remove debris from gutters.
- Call a professional chimney sweep to clean and evaluate your wood burning fireplace.
This is a great place to get started. Some of these items may not pertain to you, and some homes may need more maintenance. A lot is determined by the age of the home, the materials on the exterior, and the location. If you have specific questions about your home, feel free to call our office. If we can’t answer them over the phone, it would be a great time to schedule a Maintenance Inspection.
Tips to Get Your House Ready for Winter
Your Premier Huntley Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced About Your Home Inspection company help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
About Your Home Inspection will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Huntley area, we can help!
Owned and operated by inspection specialist, Dave Novalinski. Dave prides himself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of the customers .
Safety, Security and Peace Of Mind” ~ About Your Home Inspection!