Carbon Monoxide. What is it and why is it such a concern? According to Wikipedia, Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas, which is highly toxic to humans and animals. It consists of one carbon atom and one oxygen atom, connected by a covalent double bond and a dative covalent bond. I dont know about you, but they lost me in that second part.
Whats important to know is that CO is colorless, odorless, tasteless and highly toxic to humans and animals. But where does it come from? CO is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels. Carbon-based fuels are natural gas, gasoline, propane and burning wood. Some of the most common sources of CO are automobile exhaust, appliances such as furnaces, dryers & ovens and many natural & synthetic products like cigarette smoke.
A properly used and maintained fuel burning appliance normally will not produce a hazardous amount of CO. The CO becomes an issue when there is incomplete burning of the fuel. Any gas burning appliance that is not working efficiently will produce higher levels of Carbon Monoxide.
A CO / smoke detector can save your live!
Because you cant see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are even aware of its presence. Lower levels of exposure to CO causes mild effects that are commonly mistaken for the flu. These symptoms may include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.
The best form of insurance in your home is a properly installed, operational CO detector. In some states, including Illinois, laws have been passed requiring CO detectors in homes. The law in Illinois mandates that every dwelling unit be equipped with at least one CO detector within 15 ft of every room used for sleeping purposes. Click on this link read more about the Illinois CO law.
This law has been in effect since January 1st, 2007. Why are most homes still not protected? Is yours?
About Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Your Premier Huntley Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced About Your Home Inspection company help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
About Your Home Inspection will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Huntley area, we can help!
Owned and operated by inspection specialist, Dave Novalinski. Dave prides itself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of our customers .
Call About Your Home Inspection Today (847) 669-9040 | or Click To Schedule Online 24/7 Right From Our Website
Safety, Security and Peace Of Mind” ~ About Your Home Inspection!