If the HVAC technician gave your Air Conditioning unit a clean bill of health but your home is still too warm, there are some things you can look at for answers. Let’s start with the most simple, but often overlooked ideas.
- Keep windows closed and latched. Check to make sure there is no hot air leaking in.
- Check the weather stripping on your exterior doors. If you can see light coming in around your door, you can bet the hot air will be getting in too.
- Keep the registers open allowing the conditioned air to enter the rooms.
- Running fans (ceiling or portable) helps circulate the air and make it feel more comfortable.
- Keep blinds or shades adjusted to allow light in without letting in the heat. Curtains or blinds on windows with southern exposure should be closed in the afternoon to keep most of the heat out.
Sometimes these ideas, although simple, are overlooked. If you have checked all these ideas and still have not found a cause, you may have to dig a little deeper. Here are a few places you may need to examine, or have examined, to find the answer.
- Attic insulation is a key component in keeping your house cool in the summer and warm in the
winter. Insufficient attic insulation can allow the hot attic air to penetrate through the ceilings.
- Ensure that there is sufficient ventilation in the attic. Keeping the air moving through the attic keeps it cooler and reduces the risk of transferring heat to the rooms below.
- If your home has an attached garage, make sure there is sufficient insulation in walls common with the house and in the ceiling if there is a room above.
- Determine if there is adequate insulation in the exterior walls. The heat from the sun and outside air can transfer through the walls into your home if there is not enough insulation.
This list points out some of the most common discrepancies found in today’s homes, but certainly not all of them. If you have checked all the ideas listed and you still think it’s too hot in your house, it is time to schedule a Maintenance Inspection.
Feel free to post a comment or ask a question. If your need is more specific, or if you are ready to schedule an inspection, call our office today. Thanks for visiting!
Summer and Winter Air Conditioning
Your Premier Huntley Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced About Your Home Inspection company help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
About Your Home Inspection will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Huntley area, we can help!
Owned and operated by inspection specialist, Dave Novalinski. Dave prides itself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of our customers .
Safety, Security and Peace Of Mind” ~ About Your Home Inspection!